It would take a lifetime for me to count the things for which I’m thankful, so I’m grateful that Thursday 13 falls on Thanksgiving Day. What a sweet cop-out. 🙃 So, here I go with 13 wonderful things that I appreciate about my parents.
(1) Daddy fell in love with Mama at first sight.
(2) Mama said yes when he proposed.
(3) They willingly left their homeland for America where they believed they had a chance for a better life for themselves and their children.
(4) They gave my brother and me a safe and comfortable life when we were growing up, in spite of their low paying jobs.
(5) They showed me, not just tell me, how to be an honest, hardworking, fair-minded, mindful, kind, and helpful person.
(6) Mama taught me my numbers and ABCs before I started school.
(6) Daddy taught me how to check the oil in my car and fix a flat tire.
(7) Daddy breathed calmness with a delightful sense of humor.
(8) Mama steadfastly continued onward and forward with much fortitude and hardheadedness despite her frustrations, sadness, and insecurities.
(9) Mama and Daddy stood 100 percent behind me when I said I wanted to go to college. And, though they may have wanted me to become a nurse or secretary, they didn’t force their choices on me.
(10) They wanted to protect me from harm. Mama gave me prayer amulets and a huge safety pin while Daddy placed a crowbar beneath the driver’s seat of my car and advised me to have a full tank when setting off on a trip, especially if I’m driving to the mountains.
(11) Mama and Daddy didn’t give up on each other, even in the most stressful times of their life together.
(12) Together, as well as individually, Mama and Daddy were risk takers. They had a faith that all would work out well.
(13) Mama and Daddy believed in me. They let me be me.
I’m a fortunate woman to have been born to Francisca DeGuzman Domingo and Santiago Domingo Echaore.
Please check out the other bloggers at Thursday 13 where I’ll be sharing today’s post. And, please visit LeeAnna and the bloggers hanging out I Like Thursday. Good cheer, One and All! Happy Thanksgiving!