I got my first piece of advertisement for a Medicare advantage plan in the mail yesterday. It wished me Happy Birthday! That was last month.
It stated that it is time for me to think about Medicare, even though I won't be eligible until the end of the year. The mailer did give one two piece of valuable information. Namely, I can enroll for Medicare three months before I turn 65, nine months from now. Unless things change between now and then, the only reasonable and, thankfully, affordable option for me is the Medicare advantage plan that the Husband is already on.
Five Facts about Medicare
- Medicare, established under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, was signed into law by President Johnson in 1965.
- President Truman and Mrs. Truman were the first Medicare beneficiaries, receiving the first Medicare cards.
- In 1972, President Nixon signed a bill to expand coverage to persons under 65 who have long-term disabilities.
- In 1982, hospice services was added as a Medicare benefit.
- The official Medicare website is Medicare.gov.
Thank goodness for Medicare. We really ought to have Medicare for everyone. We all deserve affordable health care.