Ha! I completed #4 on my list of seven things to do before the summer ends.
A jar of lemon peels covered with vodka is now sitting in the cupboard with the glasses. In four to six weeks, it will become lemon extract. I hope, I hope.
The first thing I plan to make with the stuff is lemon cookies. They were the first—and when I think of it, the only—cookies that the Mama baked when I was a small kid. They were perfectly round, golden, and yummily lemon flavored. I have yet to taste a lemon cookie that rivals my memory of the Mama's cookies.
If you're curious, this was my recipe, which I adapted from Mommypotamus's.
- Zested 9 medium lemons. Don't get any of the white peel.
- Place lemon strips in a jar and cover with about 1.5 cup of vodka.
- Shake well, then put in a cupboard.
- Shake the mixture every day for a week.
- Shake every so often for 4 to 6 weeks, which I shall translate as once every 3 or 4 days.
- Strain the lemon peels and pour lemon extract into clean jars.
- Store in cabinet or refrigerator.
What will I do with those lemons I zested? (The zester is a very cool tool by the way.) Make lemonade!