While traipsing through the backyard early one morning last week I came across first-time visitors. Mushrooms!
Mama would've harvested them. She would've thrown a quarter into the stewing mushroom pot, and if the quarter didn't turn black, then she would've eaten them. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a scientific basis behind the coin changing color to signify mushrooms are poisonous.
When I was a kid, I ate the mushrooms my parents gathered on the oaks and sycamores along a certain creek in the hills right after good winter rain. They were tasty but kind of slimy, what the Husband might say in jest, "Awful mouthfeel."
Daddy taught me which mushrooms to look for and where to find them, but I could never trust my judgment so I mostly held empty buckets and carried full ones back to the car. I love those times.
I enjoy finding the mushrooms and taking photos of them. I do not trust that I could pick mushrooms that are safe to eat. Take care, enjoy your day!
I think about taking a mushroom gathering workshop, but I probably won't. I still don't do well with classes, even fun ones. Cheers, Eileen!Delete
Nice memories! I love mushrooms, but never picked up myself for the same reason with eileeninmd. Take care.ReplyDelete
Hi Yoko! I'm glad that one of our local markets sells frozen shiitake mushrooms for a reasonable price.Delete
I wonder about the coin thing. I'm sure that there is a good reason why that works. We've been getting lots of mushrooms growing around here, too. I wouldn't trust myself to know which is safe and which is not, so like you, I'll leave that to professionals.ReplyDelete
We haven't got much rain this winter which makes me wonder if the mushrooms are taking advantage of any little water to bloom.Delete
I always kick the ones that grow in mine, but they’re whiteReplyDelete
That's good, Adam. You're helping the spores populate. :-)Delete